Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Thanksgiving, Wedding, The Messiah

We were too busy on Thanksgiving to take pictures: but someone did snap this one of Isaac and me. We had a nice full house: Allie, her friend Alison and boyfriend John, Caitlin, Lisa, Nora, Jason, Kyle and Isaac.
Thanksgiving Menu

Cider Brined and Glazed Turkey
stuffed with bread stuffing
Pennsylvania Dutch Potato Filling
Aunt DeAnn's Corn Casserole
Sweet Potato Casserole with Ginger
Brussels Sprouts with Garlic Butter and Slivered Almonds
24 Hour Salad
Marty's famous spring greens salad
Pumpkin Pie

Caitlin arranged 5 or 6 little vases of flowers that still remained in my garden. This cone flower is in a vase that my cousins, Linda and Gladys gave me from my Aunt Mary's vase collection. I also had snapdragons, some yellow daisy-like blooms that my friend Jean gave me for the garden this spring.
On Saturday we drove to Manhattan for Marty's niece's Corbett's wedding, which was a lovely affair. Kyle was the ring bearer and did an did an excellent job performing his duties. He also did an outstanding job of quietly holding still for the ceremony, which is quite a feat for a 4 year old boy. Of course, he couldn't have looked any cuter in his little suit.
It was a long night for a four year old ring bearer.

On Sunday we arrived home in time for me to attend the "Do it yourself" Messiah, which marks the beginning of the Holiday season for me. I have attended for 6 years now. It was held at First Presbyterian in downtown Reading this year, which has lovely acoustics. They publish a date in the newspaper, everyone shows up with their score, there is a live local orchestra and local conductor and soloists. It all comes together sounds heavenly.