Tuesday, July 21, 2009


I went to the Radiologist today and he discharged me after determining that none of my complaints had anything to do with radiation. The psychologist was more helpful. We talked about maintaining a positive attitude while still recognizing and paying attention to negative thoughts and feelings. She told me about research that indicates the balance should be 3 to 1 positive to negative. Negative thoughts need to experienced, she said because there is something to be learned from them, but to be careful not to caught in a down spiral of negative thoughts that grow out of proportion to the reality of the situation. Positive thoughts aren't that helpful if there aren't negative ones to give them meaning. She urged me to get back into the habit of yoga and breathing. Even if I feel too tired for yoga I can lie there and focus my on breathing.
I won't be doing anything else medical until after our vacation Aug 16. So hopefully it will be a real vacation from everything.